The Department has released a discussion paper, introducing a new 5 year Temporary Parent Visa for parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents. The new visa arrangement will commence on 1 July 2017.
The Government’s announcement stated that key requirements of a temporary parent visa would be as follows:
‘Limiting the burden on health care:
- entry and stay is not to burden Australia’s health care system, and adequate private health insurance from an Australian provider must be obtained by the parent.
- applicants are to be sponsored by their Australian child
- there is to be a bond arrangement, based on the AoS scheme.
The visa application:
- a concurrent migration application is not necessary
- a stay period of up to five years will be provided
- a visa holder can apply to renew their visa for further periods of up to five years at a time.’
The Government will announce full details of the new visa later in 2016.